Saturday, November 10, 2012

The time I freaked out a speeding girl at my Dad's 50th

My parents are pretty unique, so when my Dad turned 50 he decided to celebrate by throwing a party with bar, DJ and live bands in a run down warehouse in a red light district in Bradford.
I went there with Simon Lloyd, one of my best friends.
In all honesty we had no idea what we were letting ourselves in for.
It started well. The bands were good and the room was chock full of family and friends.
Most of these people were intent on performing some obscene dionysian ritual to reclaim their lost youth and party like they did 25 years ago.
There was a lot of drink and a lot of drugs flying around. Mostly up or out of peoples noses.
The overall result of this was Simon and I incredulously bouncing between drunken groups and tweaked out weirdos.
One guy I spoke to was Steve. Steve was a friend of my parents, and worked in the same field - furniture and antiques. Steve was in an excitably cheerful mood, and spent our conversation telling me about how he'd stopped working and passed his business over to his kids, how they were making a real go of it, doing better than he ever did, and gushing about how proud of them he was. It was quite a pleasant catch up.
As the night wore on, more people arrived, and I found myself talking to a pretty blonde with pupils big as saucers. Apparently she'd been taking methamphetamine by the bag and hadn't slept for over three days.
This was her conversational opener.
I cannot remember her name for the life of me, but I remember the conversation....
We did that thing you do at parties, and tried to work out if we knew each other, or if we knew people in common.
"I'm Steve's daughter," she said. "Do you know Steve Wood n Stuff?"
"Oh yes. I know him. I was just talking to him earlier."
"What?" Confused face. "You can't have."
"No, I did. Earlier tonight. He's here," I stood on my tip toes, looking for Steve in the crowd. "You're running his business now?"
"Yes..."
"He was telling me that you've taken over his business now, and how proud he is of you."
The girl's eyes had gotten bigger now, if that were possible.
"He died last year..."

Turns out that Steve is a fairly common name. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment